Sunday, April 05, 2009

This Is Interesting

I stumbled across a quiz on beliefnet.com that matches you up with a religion. Kind of like Yahoo Personals, but it hooks you up with a God.

So I'm going to call this a meme and ask whoever is interested, particularly people of faith, to go and take the quiz, post the results on their blog, and then talk about how that matches up with their denominational choice or inherited faith.

Not doing this to make fun of anyone...not my purpose at all, I just think it will be interesting and informative.

For instance, I'm not at all surprised by my top match of Secular Humanism at 100% (although I like to think of it as Secular Hedonism because that's just how I roll).

Nor am I surprised by the bottom match of Jehovah's Witness at 4%. Howver I'm curious where the 4% match comes from.

But the fact that Roman Catholic was only 2 steps above Jehovah's Witness was interesting.

The fact that Jainism came in at 18 with 21% was surprising considering I have no fucking idea what Jainism is. Is it the belief in a goddess named Jain? Is she a librarian? Tell me more!

I do like the fact that Scientology came in at least two steps above ANY flavor of Mormonism. That's reassuring.

Go. Take the quiz. Have fun! But don't take the results too seriously.

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (93%)
3. Nontheist (76%)
4. Liberal Quakers (74%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (67%)
6. Neo-Pagan (64%)
7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (59%)
8. New Age (49%)
9. Taoism (47%)
10. Reform Judaism (43%)
11. Orthodox Quaker (37%)
12. Mahayana Buddhism (36%)
13. Baha'i Faith (30%)
14. Sikhism (30%)
15. Scientology (29%)
16. New Thought (27%)
17. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (23%)
18. Jainism (21%)
19. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (20%)
20. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (17%)
21. Seventh Day Adventist (15%)
22. Eastern Orthodox (14%)
23. Islam (14%)
24. Orthodox Judaism (14%)
25. Roman Catholic (14%)
26. Hinduism (10%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (4%)

10 comments:

A Librarian said...

Sigh...Do you never read my blog? I have talked about this quiz at least twice on there :-P

A Librarian said...

Oh, by the way, my top one was Liberal Quaker followed by Unitarian.

I Travel for JOOLS said...

Well, that was interesting. My top one was Mormon. ?"?? What I consider my closest true faith (Protestant) were numbers 4 and 5, but I was blown away by number 7, Islam.

FletcherDodge said...

I didn't see "snake dancism" on the list, are you sure this quiz is valid?

Spyder said...

emawkc- we don't need to hear about your snake!

EolaĆ­ said...

1. Mahayana Buddhism (100%)
2. Jainism (94%)
3. Hinduism (91%)

See I get on better with librarians called Jain than you do. And worse with Roman Catholics.

Nick said...

1) Jane's Addiction ( 100% )

The DLC said...

Greetings fellow secular humanist. That website is a pain in my ass.

keepontruckin said...

Where was Blogging on there? Blogging's totally my religion.

Nightmare said...

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (93%)
3. Neo-Pagan (81%)
4. Liberal Quakers (73%)
5. Nontheist (73%)
6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (62%)
7. New Age (60%)
8. Mahayana Buddhism (50%)
9. Theravada Buddhism (50%)
10. Taoism (45%)
11. Reform Judaism (39%)
12. New Thought (32%)
13. Scientology (32%)
14. Baha'i Faith (26%)
15. Orthodox Quaker (26%)
16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (19%)
17. Hinduism (13%)
18. Jainism (13%)
19. Sikhism (13%)
20. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (0%)
21. Eastern Orthodox (0%)
22. Islam (0%)
23. Jehovah's Witness (0%)
24. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (0%)
25. Orthodox Judaism (0%)
26. Roman Catholic (0%)
27. Seventh Day Adventist (0%)