Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Blatant Hypocrisy


I've been meaning to point this out for some time. But there was some really good stuff on TV, the Girl Friend came over, had to pay some bills. Got distracted.

But I cannot believe that Our President, the guy who chickened out during Vietnam by joining the Texas Air National Guard (they were RARELY, if ever, utilized as front line fighting troops at that time. They were held in reserve in case we needed armed forces here. Hence the name...National Guard!), and who was declared AWOL (that means DESERTER) from the Guard by the Air Reserve Personnel Center in Denver, now seems to think that they are the answer to EVERYTHING.

Keep them in Afghanistan forever. Keep them in Iraq forever. Let them guard the Mexican Border. Send them to disaster zones!

This guy has abused the National Guard and corrupted their entire purpose for existing beyond recognition.

The National Guard is supposed to guard the nation! Get it? National Guard! It's right there in their name! They are basically a State Militia, available at the beck and call of each State's Governor to use as needed. How are they suppose to do that if they are filling in for an over-extended, under-staffed standing Federal Army?

This guy barely "phoned in" his own duty to the Guard and weaseled out of even THAT much commitment. But now he expects them to be a permanently deployed fighting force, perpetually in Harm's Way. Something he himself was unwilling to do.

If that isn't the textbook definition of HYPOCRISY, I don't know what is.

4 comments:

emawkc said...

Great post!!! I just love the irony of you calling someone a hypocrite.

Top notch, old sport.

SmedRock said...

I hate to say it, but the Middle East is the new Germany. As a veteran myself, I sympathize with your points here. But for clarification, you can be absent without leave (AWOL) for up to 90 days, then they 'drop you from the rolls', at which time you are a deserter. But I have to agree that the TXNG did very little front line anything. But the state of our militray today due to 8 years of "Peace Dividend" downsizing is this. 60% of our military assests are NG and reserve forces. They make up the bulk of our logistical elements (Fuel, Food, transport, ect..). The other 40% also include those elements, but make up the majority of the combat units needed to hold ground. I hate WAR, did a stint or two myself, but until we pull out we need to help the guys that are following the orders of the current boss.

As for troops guarding our borders, this is not new. It has been done before, with little or no fanfare. Fire fights had even broke out north of the Arizona/Mexico border with Mexican military on our side of the line back in the late 80's. Crazy.

Great job on the blog, just wanted to clarify the difference between AWOL and desertion.

Back to the regularly scheduled flame throwing...

Xavier Onassis said...

smed - Thanks for the clarification and the comment. But more importantly (by far), thank you for your service.

I rant, I rave, I vent, I question authority. Sometimes I stir shit up just to stir shit up. It's like throwing a rock at a hornet's nest (from a safe distance). It's fun to watch as long as you are in no real danger.

None of that would be possible without Those Who Serve.

I am in your debt.

Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »