Friday, March 21, 2008

Whiskey


I meant to link to my friend Eolai's recent post on Irish KC regarding not just the Irish Whiskey Tasting and Dinner at the IMCC, but the finer points of what makes a good whiskey.

I particularly appreciated the following sentiment:

"For what it’s worth Jamesons is my whiskey of choice, and don’t you ever put anything into it, nor let an ice cube pass within 20 feet of it. Or I’ll kill you."

I chuckled at this because there is a school of thought that believes it's not the alcohol that gives you a hangover, it is all of the impurities from the glass, the mixers, and especially the TAP WATER used to make the ice cubes that give you a hangover.

The late, great, W.C. Fields is rumored to have put it most succinctly.


"I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it."


For those of you who are unaware of the origin of whiskey, I again defer to Eolai:

“Whiskey” of course comes from the Irish language word for water, uisce, because as Gaeilge (in Irish) whiskey is called uisce beatha or “water of life”.



But since this is an American blog, an American gets the final word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ive rediscovered whiskey recently after abandoning it for years. Since we also had the unbelievable luck of having a liquor store open INSIDE my local grocery store, Im definitely looking for ways to expand my liquor knowledge base in general I find this all very helpful.

Eolaí gan Fhéile said...

You're after making me thirsty. And that's just fine.