Thursday, October 11, 2007

HOLY (bull)SHIT!!!

I have to thank Eric over at Secrets of the Red Seven for providing these links in his Cartoon Catechism post.

I totally poached them.

Remember all of those cartoons in school tailored to teach you things like "The Atom",


or "Rocketry".


Eric dug up some great theological cartoons on three of the most, umm, interesting religions I can think of. Religions that like to portray themselves as being very mainstream, normal Christian faiths.

But DAYum!

I know I have at least two blog buddies who are much more familiar with the faiths they were raised in then I am. So I will defer to them as to the veracity of the claims made in the videos. But I do not expect them to defend or deny anything. From what little I know of the religions represented, it seems essentially factual, although possibly not presented in the way that the church elders would endorse.

So, here goes.

What MORMONS really believe.


What SCIENTOLOGISTS really believe.


What JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES really believe
(This one starts out slow and boring, but stick with it.)



But is any of this any more bizzare or unbelievable than Virgin Births, Seven Plagues, Seven Seals, Second Comings, Ressurected Carpenters or Holy Zombies?

All religions are bullshit. They require you to believe something they cannot prove and adhere to a regimen of proscribed behaviors that are totally unnaturaly to normal humans.

Throw away the crutch! THINK!

8 comments:

Kanga said...

I can only speak to the JW one, as I was brought up in that as a kid, and my Dad held to it until he died. My Mom pretty much divorced him over religion and other things. Anyway, as I remember, the cheesy cartoon is pretty right-on about JW theology. MY problem is the cultic nature of the group. They dominate their people's lives to an insane degree. Anyway, glad I got out of it many years ago.

Janet said...

Kanga, we need to talk!

My dad is an elder, I was df'd way back in '98.

And I left my detailed comment over at Eric's, you'll just have to go there to read it!

Janet said...

Well, shit, never mind, we already have!

(my caffeine hasn't kicked in yet this morning)

crse said...

You know? My friend used to say "atheism is a crutch". Still cracks me up when i think about it! I totally respect your opinion XO and of course fall under the category of "other" and really do believe that the best and worst of humanity is acted out in organized religion. Still, ive noticed a trend among religious scholars who are also individuals of faith. It seems the more intelligent these folks are, the more they identify with the metaphors as opposed to promoting the idea that these "miracles" actually happened. Having said that, Im pretty damned alarmed by those clips my friend!

Faith said...

I only watched that Mormon one (the Scientologist one doesn't work, by the way...which is totally like them!), and I can't believe that's true. Their explanation for "negros?" And Native Americans were actually Israelites? Wouldn't they have to live in...oh, I dunno...ISRAEL in order to be that?

Fucked up, dude.

GB, RN said...

I've never seen that Mormon one before, and most everything on it doesn't strike a familiar chord with any of the things I learned in church. Countless celestial sex? That's a new one.

If all this is true, I think only the most fanatical believe it. Most members (i.e. normal) just sort of pick and chose what they follow, and adopt a live and let live policy.

Red Seven said...

Ain't it a pip!

Oh, and go to YouTube and search for "South Park, Mormons."

Ha! Ha! Ha ha! Super duper FUNNY.

Spyder said...

Heather-"Most members (i.e. normal) just sort of pick and chose what they follow, and adopt a live and let live policy."

Sounds like most "normal" catholics! I'm not on the pill. I just took Kanga to the Vet!

crse- "It seems the more intelligent these folks are, the more they identify with the metaphors as opposed to promoting the idea that these "miracles" actually happened."
You are right on with that! I know Jesuits who are like that.