Friday, June 13, 2008

Destroying Blogging in Kansas City - Attack #743

Soley because so many people seem to hate it when people do this, I'm fucking doing it.

Poodles memed me, so here goes.

The Atheist Thirteen

If you’d like to take part, copy these questions, and answer them in your own words on your own blog.

Q1. How would you define “atheism”?

No gods, no supernatural elements, no "faith" in things that can't be proven, no evangelical desire to convert the world to your point of view.

Q2. Was your upbringing religious? If so, what tradition?

Yes, it was. In the beginning, Evangelical United Brethren which later merged with the Methodists.

Q3. How would you describe “Intelligent Design”, using only one word?

Absolute Bullshit! Biblical creationism clothed in pseudo-scientific goon-babble.

Q4. What scientific endeavour really excites you?

The exploration of space by humans and robots. When you see the incredible diversity of environments and the possibilities for life within our own, tiny little solar system, and you logically extrapolate that out to the hundreds of billions star systems with in our own galaxy, and the billions upon billions of other galxies in the universe, the wonders that await us are astounding. To think that some cosmic sky-daddy could just blink all of that into existence with a word and the snap of his fingers cheapens that wonder beyond measure. The universe is a place of awe and we humans are (or should be) incredibly humbled that we even exist.

Q5. If you could change one thing about the “atheist community”, what would it be and why?

I would organize. I would engage lobbyists. I would encourage athiests to campaign for office as athiests. In other words, I would employ the exact same tactics that the religious right used under Jerry Falworth and Pat Robertson. I would engineer an athiest takeover of the Democratic party. Let's make this a REAL idealogical battle. Let's cross that line. Let's drop that pretense of pretending to be religious in order to get elected. Let's draw a line in the sand and say we are the party of REALITY, not FANTASY! OK, I guess that's a whole lote of things, not just one thing. Sorry! My bad!

I would organize. Period.


Q6. If your child came up to you and said “I’m joining the clergy”, what would be your first response?

Believe it or not, I would be fine with that. Look, life takes us all down different paths and we all do what we need to do to make it through the day and survive. If believing in supernatural beings who can usurp the laws of physics keeps you from going postal, if it brings you some peace, then by all means...go light some fucking candles.

Q7. What’s your favourite theistic argument, and how do you usually refute it?

I don't have a favorite theistic argument and even if I did, I don't care enough to refute it. Believe whatever fantasy you want to believe. Unicorns, hobbits, vampires, the Illuminati, resurrected Jewish carpenters, I don't care. Just don't go passing laws requiring others to conform to your fantasy.

Q8. What’s your most “controversial” (as far as general attitudes amongst other atheists goes) viewpoint?

Umm, I don't know...tolerance of other peoples religous views? I really don't give a flying fuck what people believe. As long as their beliefs don't impact me. Thomas Jefferson said something along the lines of "What another man chooses to believe neither breaks my bones or picks my pockets." In other words, believe what you want...just don't fuck with me.

Q9. Of the “Four Horsemen” (Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens and Harris) who is your favourite, and why?

I like Dawkins. He is just in your face and unapologetic. Radical bastard.

Q10. If you could convince just one theistic person to abandon their beliefs, who would it be?

No one. I believe what I believe, you believe what you believe, let's not try and pass any laws to fuck with each other, and we'll get along just fine.

There. I'm done. Time to fix supper.

I'm not tagging anybody. Play if you want. If not, don't.

Peace.