Thursday, May 27, 2010

"I Need You To Call Me"

That was the text message I recieved from my daughter, young Galadriel Tanqueray Onassis, on my way home from work tonight.

I drive a jeep with a standard transmission and don't have a Borg/Blue Tooth implant so I need both hands to drive. I figured I'd call her back after I got home and settled.

Which I did.

HER: "Oh. I don't need to talk to you anymore. I took care of it."

ME: "So, what happened?"

Turns out she was in her first car accident. In her mom's brand new car. With her boyfriend behind the wheel.

No one was hurt. The damage was minimal. But still.

They had already parked at the restaurant when a woman who was yacking on her fucking cell phone and not paying any goddamned attention backed into them as she was pulling out.

GTO's mom is, well...unpredictable. GTO was terrified and didn't know what to do. She was trying to contact me for advice and I wasn't available.

In my absence, she was forced to evaluate the situation and decide what to do.

She decided that the best course of action was to immediately go to her mother and tell her exactly what happened.

She was so terrified she was shaking. But she did it. And her mother (who had apparently been replaced by an inter-dimensional clone from an alternate reality) shrugged it off and took it in stride instead of freaking the fuck out.

My daughter faced a major crisis, rationally analyzed her available courses of action and the potential ramifications of each one and reached a conclusion.

She handled it on her own and she reached the right decision.

I'm calling this a parenting WIN!

8 comments:

Donna. W said...

I totally agree.

kcmeesha said...

Your kid is awesome,but get an automatic

Faith said...

Why the heck was her boyfriend authorized to drive her mother's car?

Good on her for sucking it up and being brave and facing the issue head on, though. Learning to accept responsibility for our actions is one of the hardest lessons to learn in life. Best to deal with it early, and move on from there, I think!

Dan said...

Congratulations. Your analysis of the situation is dead-on; she has demonstrated one of the most important life-skills that we parents can wish our children to have - the ability to use good judgment when placed under threatening circumstances. Bravo.

My only suggestion would be to advise her to add "right now" to her text message if she ever really, really needs you. But she showed that she didn't really, really need you this time after all, which adds just a tiny tinge of bittersweet to a very happy story.

I Travel for JOOLS said...

Well, I guess if mom doesn't care who was driving the car, no big since it wasn't their fault and nobody was hurt.

BUT,

I can tell you for sure my kid's boyfriend would never be allowed to drive MY car. And, if she was my kid and let him do it without permission, she'd be riding the bus for the next 6 months.

Different strokes...

Glad nobody was hurt.

Xavier Onassis said...

Faith & Jools - He totally had permission from GTO's mom to drive her car. GTO still isn't driving yet. Says she's not ready. I respect her judgement in that regard.

Dan - Yes, we had that discussion. Told her to add "911" or "right now" or "emergency" or something that tells me it's more important than asking me if I've seen the latest Leroy Jenkins clip on YouTube.

logtar said...

I would totally let you adopt me!

Anonymous said...

Have you posted any more pictures of her recently? The ones you posted previously were awesome to masturbate to. Would like to see more of your daughter.