Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Just So We're Clear....


People who die or lose limbs or are otherwise incapacitated in some way by doing shit like climbing Mt. Everest, "conquering" El Capitan, or competing in extreme sports in extreme conditions ARE NOT heroic overachieving role models.

They are fucking idiots who died or were incapacitated by their own stupidity, arrogance and narcissism.

If you want to "live life on the edge", that's fine. Go for it (idiot).

But don't expect anyone else to mourn your passing when you die doing stupid shit that routinely gets people killed.

You call it "pushing the envelope". I call it "culling the herd".

You call it "feeling alive by tempting death". I call it "natural selection".

Go! Test yourself! Die! No one cares.

Don't expect anyone to construct a shrine to you unless it is to serve as a warning to normal people not to do stupid shit that will get them killed dead.

Society is better off without your stupidity cluttering up the gene pool.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good points all of them.

Have never myself seen the reason to risk death climbing a mountain.

Masorti said...

That time of the month again>

sue said...

XO - A book I have read several times, and have always been facinated by is Into Thin Air
by Jon Krakauer - about the Mt. Everest rogue blizzard that caught climbers by surprise and took the lives of(I think)11.

I have always been intrigued by Antarctica explorers - especially Shackleton - and horrified by the stories of what many went through.
Sometimes I thought they would have been better off to have not survived.
~~~

I read that in October or November the seven billionth person is expected to be born.

Therefore, I figure that there are enough people on this planet for every individual to do as he or she pleases.

And if it means maiming theselves or sacrificing their life - then so be it.

~~~

But I am not an adventurer, and choose only to read about it in my own comfort zone.


Masorti: funny

Xavier Onassis said...

I tend to follow the Zappa school of thought that says you shouldn't fuck with mountains.

http://youtu.be/E1mR8ZakiD4

Hyperblogal said...

I generally say, "Do what you want"... but I've also started adding, "But if someone else has to rescue your butt, expect to pay for it."

Joshua Xalpharis said...

Charity begins at home. As in "We're not leaving home to Medi-vac your stupid ass."

As to my whereabouts, I've been returning video tapes.

sue said...

Hyper - You are right about that.

Anonymous said...

This is the stupidiest shit I've ever read. Get your head out of your ass and die, faggot.