Friday, September 16, 2011

So I Almost Died At Birth??? Really???

In a perfectly random "Happy Birthday" call from my mom tonight she informs me that during birth, my umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck "several times", I was "blue" and I almost died.

I never knew that.

What made her tell me that tonight?

I spent 11 years researching my genealogy in the 80's. My mother was very involved in this. But tonight, on my 56th birthday, for the first time ever, she tels me I almost strangled on my own umbilical cord during birth and almost died.

How is that one of those fleeting trivia facts that you fail to mention for over half a century?

What The Fuck?

Turns out, it ain't that big a deal. It happens in about 30% of pregnancies.

But I can understand how it might have been a big deal in Coffeyville, KS in 1955.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well belated Happy Birthday.

Funny the strange things older people will tell you as you as well get older. It appears at times like they hide this stuff from you thinking your're not old enough yet to handle it. Most the bad stuff in my childhhod others have told me about since neither of my parents had the guts to tell me to my face.

Joe said...

That's a really interesting thing to finally come out with. Happy Belated.